Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Kent--May 26, 2015

Dear family,

I am so excited. This is the start of a new transfer. Elder Walters is leaving Kent, but I'm not sure where. He's been in this ward for 6 months! I get a new companion, Elder Holden. He served in my zone when I was in Puyallup South. I'm excited to get to know him better. He seemed like a good elder when I first met him. This week, I've been focused a lot more on my purpose as a missionary. One of the things that President Eaton emphasizes is that we make all of our visits planned, purposeful, and precise. Each visit, we must teach a lesson, and it should start and end with prayer, include teaching true doctrine, bearing testimony of the truth, and ending with an invitation to act. I'm so grateful to have a mission president that cares so much about helping to reach our greatest potential. He truly understands what it means to be a representative of Jesus Christ. Sarah, I was so touched by your heartfelt testimony. I'm glad you know I'm doing the Lord's work, because I know it too! Jessica, I knew you could deliver your talk even though you were nervous. Way to go! Aaron, I love you so much too. Mom, my ukulele should have arrived, but I won't know until I get to transfers. I let you know next week. Dad, thanks for reminding me of my purpose. Missionaries need that push every once in a while. That's why President Eaton quotes the white handbook and Preach My Gospel frequently.

Something wonderful happened this week. The entire "H" family showed up for church on Sunday. Brother "H" was praying all week long for an opportunity to attend church with his family. Then, he called up a co-worker to see if they could switch shifts, and it worked out! They stayed for 1st and 2nd hour. During sacrament meeting, Sister "H" told me her three year old boy "J" said, "Mom I like this church. Can we come here everyday for the rest of our lives?" She said that she knew instantly that this was the right place for her family. Brother and Sister "H", along with their eleven year old boy "C", are preparing to be baptized on June 20! I know that "C" is the same age as you Sarah. If you could tell "C" anything about the church, what would it be? How has your life been different because you were baptized? I love you all and hope to hear from you soon.

Love,

Elder Herbert