Monday, May 11, 2015

Kent--May 11, 2015

Dear family,

I am so glad that we were able to Skype yesterday. It was great. Thank you so much for being my family. You are the light of my life. This week, I have decided to take what I learned at zone conference and apply it to finding new investigators. One member in the ward has a non-member husband. He is what you would call a "dry Mormon." That means that he comes to church every Sunday, has been taught all the missionary lessons, has a calling in the church, but hesitates to be baptized. I have been pondering what I could do to help him become a new investigator, and desire to be baptized. His wife, I'm sure does the same thing. She is an example to me. She owns a gym and teaches fitness classes. In the waiting room, she puts church magazines, pamphlets, movies, and copies of the Book of Mormon for people to read. It struck me that I haven't been doing all I can to work with the members of this ward. That's something I need to work on. They are already doing so much. Can you think of what would happen if we guided their efforts? Another thing I will do is earnestly contact people on the street. When Elder Hamula of the Seventy came to our mission several months ago, he talked of the importance of consecration. He said that one of the ways to be truly consecrated is to give all you have and serve the Lord. That includes talking with EVERYONE you meet. He said that contacting is the price we pay for God to trust us with the type of people that are going to be baptized. That has stuck with me ever since. So I will rise to my call, buckle down, and talk to everyone in order for the Lord to trust me. 

I hope you all have a great week. I can't wait to get my ukulele. The first hymn I'll play is called, "Be Thou My Vision." It's a popular Christian hymn. It happens to be my new favorite. 

PS. That's so cool that Josh is going to Portland! That will be a fun mission for him.

I can't wait to hear from you. 

Love,

Elder Herbert

(Pictures of when Elder Herbert and his companion, Elder Walters, went to the temple to witness a family whom Elder Walter taught get sealed.)