Monday, June 1, 2015

Kent--June 1, 2015



Dearest family,I love you so much. I want to tell you that things are going well. The work is slowing down a bit, but we hope to be able to pick it back up. It's frustrating when (I'm not joking), about 1 out of 4 people we meet on the street are Indian and don't speak any English. It can be discouraging at times, but I'm learning to put away my frustrations. This was especially true for the "H" family this week. On Saturday I was elated. I read the following text from Sister "H": "I'm reading and teaching my mother [from the Book of Mormon]. Also she will probably join me at church Sunday with a friend also. :) mom is so interested in this happy to share with her." The next day I got this text: "Brother "H" can't get the day off [work]. We will make it [to church] next weekend. I was heartbroken. I kept thinking "why? Why is God making this so difficult?" As I sat in sacrament meeting, the words of my patriarchal blessing came crystal clear in my mind: "The Lord will bestow upon you the gift of patience." I pulled it out of my scriptures and read the rest of the paragraph. It talked about how I will be patient as I exercise faith in the Lord. It tells me I will be patient and longsuffering in times of difficulty and challenge and I will overcome them and come out victorious. I was filled with gratitude for the prompting I received. Later, as a sister in the ward spoke in sacrament meeting, she related the following words from the Savior in John 14, verses 26 & 27: "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." I realized that the Holy Ghost had brought the words of my patriarchal blessing to my remembrance. The reason he did that was to give me comfort. He really is the Comforter. I learned many things from this experience. I learned that God helps us to find hope in the heartache. I learned that the Holy Ghost brings the words of the Savior to our remembrance. It was affirmed to me that without the Gift of the Holy Ghost, we would not have his companionship. I was reminded of how blessed we are to have this precious gift. Now, I will act more fervently and diligently so that others can have this priceless gift as well. The Holy Ghost can guide us, protect us, and lead us safely home to our Father in Heaven.

In answer to your questions,

Jessica: The weather has been hot and sunny this whole week until today. It started raining and it's cloudy. It is a much needed break from the sweltering heat. I didn't think it could get hot in Washington, but it does. It really is cool to see all the different cultures, but it makes me feel foreign. I wish I could speak Arabic, Punjabi, and Spanish. Those are the most common languages spoken here besides English.

Mom: I did receive my ukulele. And when we do community service, we usually have set days and times, but sometimes we set it up ourselves. I'm so glad to hear you are listening to the Book of Mormon on audio. That is what we encourage a lot of our investigators to do. It really does help!


Dad: My new companion, Elder Holden is great. We get along pretty well. We usually talk about how we can help our investigators. Elder Holden likes Marvel comics. We usually talk about stressful situations that occur and make light of the situation to relieve stress.


I love you all very much and can't wait to hear back from you. I'll be sharing more experiences later.

Love,


Elder Herbert