Monday, February 23, 2015

Puyallup--February 23, 2015

Dear family,

I am so grateful for all you do. I am finishing up the last week of this transfer. Elder Brown is going home to Arizona next Monday. We've had a really fun but challenging time together. Everyday we've been exhausted. We have both been struggling to talk with everyone. It's really hard because the people here are more well to do than the people in my last area. They are more set in their ways and they aren't looking to change. However, there are a few people here and there that will allow us to come back. We need to mostly find people to teach through the members. 

We had a lesson with the "J"'s yesterday. They are having a hard time making scripture study and prayer a priority because their lives are super busy. They have a six year old boy and a four year old boy and a baby that'll be here within the week. They know they need to get baptized, but they are afraid to make the commitment, because they see the gospel as a list of more things to accomplish. They know that our church is a big commitment. They said it's like a relationship!

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to serve the Lord. It is hard, but it is worth it. I love seeing people make changes in their lives and come closer to Christ! It's a struggle to get the work moving, and I'm afraid that I'll be taking over this area when Elder Brown leaves, but I'm learning to rely wholly upon the Lord. I know we can cast our doubts and fears on the Lord and He can help us move forward. 

One thing that helps is committing scriptures to memory. I have been attempting to memorize at least one scripture a day. This is one of my favorites, which I memorized last week: "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." (1 Peter 2:9)

I love you all.

Talk to you soon,

Elder Herbert