Monday, September 14, 2015

Auburn-September 14, 2015


Dear family,

Tracting!
Hiking in the beautiful woods

This week was an interesting week. I had the good fortune of tracting into an anti-Mormon gentleman. He let us right inside and proceeded to tell us everything that was wrong with our faith. He showed us pictures of him standing outside the Manti pageant handing out anti-Mormon tracts. He told us that he wanted to help us see the error of our ways and "truly" accept the Savior. But everything about him was feigned. He spoke of God, but his demeanor was ungodly. He exemplifies Isaiah's words, "Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid." 

But, on the other hand, we have members of the church to back us up. There are 15 million members and counting!!!!

We are teaching a part member family, the “Ws”. Brother “W”, who isn't a member, has a coworker that tries to shake his faith in the Book of Mormon. I told the Ward Council and they got really concerned about Brother “W”'s progress. Brother “W” hasn't let this man shake his belief in the Book of Mormon, but it is still a concern. Unfortunately, with his son's football schedule, we haven't been able to sit down with them as a family. I need to think of an appropriate way to invite him to be baptized, because he's already been invited countless times. 

More beauty in Washington
We need to find new investigators. I think we'll be able to find new ones contacting, tracting, and visiting formers. We also have to wait for some to get over an illness. Other than looking for new people to teach, we have been working to reactivate members. According to Preach My Gospel, as we visit less-active members and help members with their home teaching, it will help us obtain referrals. I think that as we reactivate members, we'll have more people to teach. 

Dinner with members
I love you all. I know the work I do is of God. I know that as I persevere, I will find people ready to accept the gospel. 

PS. I speak a little bit of Chinese with Elder Jiao. I mostly read and write in Chinese. I should speak it more, however. President Eaton has allowed me to check out Mandarin books from the library.

I have no idea what the brick structure is. It looked really old though! It's really cool to see all the old stuff here. There is a house on Green Valley road, right next to the freeway on ramp. It's called Neely Mansion. It was established in the 1890's. One of our members, the “B”s, have an old farmhouse that was built in 1906! 

Since I have more time, I'll send you more pictures.

Love,

Elder Herbert